Thursday, November 20, 2008

TV and Violence and Kids

I've been home for over 3 weeks now nursing a broken leg. So I've moved from the bed to the couch to the other couch and back to the bed for longer than I care to remember. I've also been watching more TV than I have in probably 20 years. What is shocking to me is how many programs feature sexual violence against women and children. I'm amazed at the writers and producers of CSI, NCIS, Law and Order, Crossing Jourdan, and all the other weekly crime dramas that feel like they need to graphically show this stuff. They're not showing this after 9pm anymore.... it's on all day now. Trust me.

Now, I've become wise to the redundant themes. So I do turn the channel when the plot starts to telegraph its intent show another slain naked body. But they're not stupid. They must be writing and filming these stories because they think that is what most Americans want... right?

According to this study, by the time the average kid in the US finishes elementary school, they've seen 8,000 violent murders on TV. So, that gives us another angle on the 8 year old murderer story in the news. Honestly, why is everyone is so shocked?

No comments: