Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Path of Less Anxiety

I can't help but believe that something's wrong with our national mood and anxiety over job losses and the economic crisis in the US. When I see and read the news about people being killed in Nigeria for their faith, women and children dying of cholera in Zimbabwe, and the tidal wave of Aids orphans in Africa, I am perplexed about which way to move.

Frankly, I'm not sure what to do. For the sake of my spirit, my heart, it really is easier to just worry about local stores and businesses closing down. And God forbid, but our unemployment rate could hit 10%.

Instead of being concerned about entire villages being burned to the ground, instead of worrying about how child soldiers are recruited and brutalized and taught to brutalize... it's so much easier to fret about a foreclosure, a bankruptcy, or having to move in with our parents someday because a job was outsourced.

To add a final punch, see this brief quote on Hamilton's poetic site.

No comments: